GLG410/598--Computers in Geology
December 9, 2007
December 3, 2007
November 19, 2007
- Please go to this web page: http://forms.asu.edu. Then login->Academic Access Requests (Listserv, AFS Quota, Outlook, ASURITE Windows)->Request for AFS Quota Increase (for students)->
Total amount requested->100 Mb
Reason->My professor requires me to turn in my assignments on my web pages. Our class web site is this: http://arrowsmith410-598.asu.edu/index.html. Our assignments are graphics-intensive maps mostly. I cannot comply with the modest 10 Mb I currently have.
Faculty or Staff Sponsor's ASURITE UserID->arrows
- No Class on Wednesday November 21. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!
November 7, 2007
- Field trip this weekend: meet at 8 am at Fwing loading dock. We will be back by 5 pm. We will go to either South Mountain or Dreamy Draw to do a number of different field exercises using computer tools.
October 24, 2007
- We caught up with most of the grading and have returned to you our evaluations as well as your current list of scores. A few assignments are missing here and there. I will still give at least partial credit for them (or full if we have discussed them), so please get them done and caught up!!
- To receive half credit on those parts of your assignments that were incorrect or missing, put a link to the revised assignment on your web site and let us know within two weeks (by November 7)
- For class on Monday, October 29, you will meet at the Decision Theater for a tour and discussion with Jessica Block, one of the senior researchers there and one of my former students. She did a MS with me on visualization and decisionmaking groundwater for Phoenix and on the Quaternary history of the Salt River. You must meet at the Decision Theater at 5:30 (or earlier). Don't be late so you can start on time and take advantage of this opportunity! The location is: http://dt.asu.edu/page/contact_us and http://dt.asu.edu/files/decision_theater_map.pdf
October 23, 2007
- I updated the Tutorial to acquire Digital Elevation Data from USGS site and process them in ArcGIS to show that in Citrix ArcGIS 9.2, you may have a screen in projection that looks like this: citrix_project.jpg. You should use XY coordinate system tab and select a projected coordinate system.
- One problem people had in ArcScene was loading the unprojected DEM into ArcScene, then projecting it using the ArcToolbox. The projection works fine, it is just that the ArcScene project thinks that you are using the unprojected coordinate system (it is set by the first file that is loaded into it), so it won't work (you cannot zoom to the file, or it says the data set extent is too great...). You should project your files in ArcMap, or open a new ArcScene file and then load in the projected file (and imagery which is generally already projected).
October 15, 2007
October 8, 2007
October 5, 2007
September 27, 2007
September 26, 2007
- I finished grading and returned comments on Assignment 3 (Excel). A few comments include:
- Use meaningful file names with no spaces in them.
- Now that you know about Data visualization and graphical excellence, I expect your plots will be cleaner and your spreadsheets even more nicely formatted.
- Do not use curvy XY plots! Only connect your points with straight line segments. You have no idea what model Excel uses to compute that curving line.
- To receive half credit on those parts of your assignments that were incorrect or missing, put a link to the revised assignment on your web site and let us know within two weeks (by October 10)
September 25, 2007
September 24, 2007
September 12, 2007
- Excel help reminder
- Please plan for a class field trip on Saturday, November 10. We will meet at 8 am and return before 6 pm. We will do some field computing!
September 7, 2007
September 4, 2007
- Link to student web sites from Assignment 2: GLG410/598 2007 student web sites. You should have received an email with our evaluation of the assignment.
- We will not have class on Wednesday, November 21 because it is too close to Thanksgiving.
- We will not have class on Monday, September 10. Olaf and I will be at the SCEC Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, CA
- Poll: I would like to offset the missing time from those classes, and let us do a better job with our field computing by spending a weekend day in the field. Will you please send (ASAP) to Olaf (email@example.com), your availability for these weekend days (note we would only go out one day): November 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18, and December 1 and 2?
September 2, 2007
- I want to remind you that there is no class tomorrow (University Holiday). We will have class on Wednesday. I will be there to answer questions about the spreadsheet assignments that we started talking about on last Wednesday. I expect that you will have started working on these so that you can take advantage of the class time to ask questions: Lecture 3. Note that the due date has been changed now to Monday September 10.
August 27, 2007
- Updated Assignment 2 with hints and with a grading rubric so you can be sure what to include
August 21, 2007
GLG410/598 Computers in Geology
Last modified: December 9, 2007